Sunday, March 13, 2005

John 18:14 - Reading Slowly

If nothing else, reading in the Greek forces me to read slower and consider the words more cafefully. I tend to see things in the text I hadn't before. For example...

Caiaphas, in John 11:47-50 and then again it's mentioned in John 18, talks/teaches about one man dying for the nation. Of course, he's talking about Jesus dying to for the nation in protection from the Romans; not sin.

John 18
14 Now Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jews that it was expedient for one man to die on behalf of the people.

(see John 11:47-50)

I never saw the irony before. Especially coming from such a man that sd know the scripture and know how He really came to die for the people.

1 comment:

BMan said...

Also, we have the Holy Spirit guiding us.

Another observation...

JOhn 18:16:
"So the other disciple, who was known to the high priest, went out and spoke to the doorkeeper, and brought Peter in."

What's the message there? What's the significance? Does this have something to do w/ the belief that Peter is Heaven's doorkeeper?